Friday, April 2, 2010

My return.

I returned to the area of my son's accident today. India point park in Providence,R.I.
It took me 6 years to go back. I don't know why. I don't know why I chose today.
Everything looked so much different with the ramps off of the highway now complete.
I was not sure of the exact spot, and maybe it is best this way. As I began to feel a
sadness come over me, I noticed a man playing a guitar & faintly singing. I moved
myself closer to him, and he was singing a line about missing someone. He continued
to finish his song as I stood and listened. When he finished he simply looked up at me
and said, hi how are you. I replied, to be honest, I'm a little sad & confused & explained
why I had come to the park. He gave the usual condolences & remarked how my son
certainly had a big monument.(meaning the new highway exits & park area, I think). I
found this to be both comforting & a bit spiritual, as I have been telling mostly family
and friends that he was going to have a big monument. How prophetic that a stranger
would say the same thing! I talked a little more with him & found him to be an architect
with an office but no work. I told him of my unemployment & my artwork, gave him my
business card, shook his hand and thanked him for the conversation. As I walked back
to my car he began to play & sing. My son loved music as I do. Who's voice was I hearing?
                                            Take care, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment